Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The first day...maybe the rest won't be quite so awkward?

When I first got to Taiwan, I was so excited. I kept poking Stephanie and saying, “Hey Stephanie, it's Taiwan!” I was excited to get back to Taipei and see the things that I saw the last time we were here. I forgot that this was a completely new experience, with different people and places. I think I figured that out today, and I'm not going to lie it was a little disappointing to come to that realization. I should have realized it sooner, but I guess better late than never.

Anyway, I have 3 roomies – 2 Korean and 1 Bolivian. They are super sweet and it doesn't feel crowded in our skinny room. Everyone pretty much keeps to their quarter of the room and it is all good. We had our registration thing on Monday. There were 2 Americans (me and Stephanie), 2 Mongolians (our new friends Oko and Anuka) and then the rest were Korean. There's a lot of Koreans here... Anyway, Tuesday we had a medical check-up and then nothing so we wondered around campus and then went to Taoyuan city with Oko and Anuka. I can't really describe how I feel about being the only white person around because I haven't really decided how I feel about it. Most of the time though, I think it is hilarious. For instance, we went with Oko to find a laptop and there was a guy that worked there and his friend who spoke English. They came over and the one who spoke English politely asked Stephanie and I if we needed help even though we were obviously not the ones who were looking at computers. Then when the one who worked there found out Stephanie could speak Chinese he started talking to her and didn't really pay attention to the ones who wanted to spend money. This encounter was definitely one of my favorites. Life is truly interesting here.

Today was the first day of classes and as expected, because my major is teaching Chinese as a second language, Stephanie and I are pretty much the only foreigners in our classes. Today was a little frustrating...I kept thinking everything was going to be in English...and then I find out in this major that isn't necessarily the case. I guess that means my Chinese will be even better...everything happens for a reason right? Chinese class doesn't start until March 15 and I seriously can not wait!! I want to speak Chinese and learn new Chinese and feel dumb when I don't know what is going on in class....I miss it! I can't wait...but I do like not having to wake up early in the morning. ;)

So, because Stephanie and I don't really have much to do here yet, every morning and evening so far we have gone out and sat on the bleachers at the sports field and watched whatever has been going on. There is baseball, soccer, people running around the track, and best of all...Cheerleading. There is a competition of some sort coming up, so groups of Ming Chuan students have been practicing, both boys and girls, and every evening they are out there doing their “cheers"...more like dances. It is so entertaining.

Anyway, when things get going and more interesting stuff happens...I'll let you know.


Love you all! Always in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment